Friday, March 2, 2012

What Is This Blog About Anyway?

When I tell my friends about the craziness that goes on in my life, they always say, "You should write a book!". That just sounds like it would be hard and take way too much time. I have never thought of myself as a writer, only a reader. A good friend mentioned blogging. I really had no idea what that was. It took me a few years to even look into it. And then a couple more years of thinking about it before deciding to give it a try.
Most of my reasons for wanting to start a blog have to do with my son Hayden. He was born with Down Syndrome six and a half years ago. This was totally unexpected. It raised many emotions that I had trouble sorting out. I wondered if other moms in similar situations felt the same way. I want to share more about those first months with Hayden and hopefully help some moms out there who are going through the mixed feelings of having a baby with a disability. Everyday since has been a new adventure with him. He truly amazes me with his determination and wit! He has become the center of our family. Everyone he meets is captivated by his charm. No lie! The kid has swagger as my older children would say.
The rest of my reasons for starting this are the countless other things that happen around here and the millions of thoughts that are floating aimlessly around in my head. I need to get them out! I have many interests and talents of my own and after nearly 19 years of motherhood, have a NEED to find out who I am.  I have been a "stay at home mom" for 12 years. We are not rich, so this has met that I have had to be creative with spending and find ways to bring in extra income. I have babysat for many families over the years. Oh wait, I mean "provided Child Care". This has been the best way to stay home and still make some money that I have found. My other at home job has been  my ebay store. I have sold many things my kids have outgrown and that we just don't need anymore. People also bring me their junk to sell for them for a commission.
I am now focusing on starting an interior painting business. I LOVE TO PAINT!  Walls, furniture, anything really. I feel like I have found my passion, just haven't found how to make real money at it yet. I have had four paying painting jobs so far.  Since I took a break for Christmas, I have had trouble getting back to it. I might get around to explaining why that is in future posts.
I have always enjoyed painting. I also enjoy knitting, crocheting, beading, cross-stitching, baking and lots more stuff to a lesser degree.
I am trying to decide what my "voice" sounds like in a blog. Should I sensor myself? Or let it all come out like I actually think or say it? I don't have a super trash mouth or anything, but I might have an f-bomb flying about from time to time. I am leaning toward just letting it sound like me telling a friend about whatever it is rather than like reading a magazine article in a doctors office.
Now that we know what this blog is going to be about, my next post will be about the first reactions I had upon hearing that Hayden had Downs. I think I will just go from there and see where it leads.

7 comments:

  1. Great 1st blog! We loved you as our "babysitter", but I think "substitute mom" is a better title for you! Look forward to reading future blogs!
    Cheers, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! Thanks Laurie. I have very fond memories of my days with Zach. I was so disappointed when you guys moved. Good thing I still see Cathy every month to keep up with your family!

      Delete
  2. Just tell it like it is in your voice...no censors! The hardest part is getting started. You did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it weren't for you Andrea, I never would have gotten started! I will need your encouragement to keep it going when I get lazy. And please give me your uncensored comments!

      Delete
    2. Is it wrong to pick which story I want you to guest post with? It has to do with a very messy pair of mittens! Thank you for taking my nagging better than the children do!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I love the pictures. Since this has Hayden as a central focus, I'm surprised you didn't title it "Let's do it do the baby!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAhahaha! Glad you can laugh at yourself! I had no idea what to name it, so just used the name of my ebay store. Not sure if it is right, but I had to call it something and just start writing. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete